What’s going on this Saturday is quite possibly the definition of Australian hipster cool. Why? Let’s see…
1. Local and interstate folk/rock/pop musicians are playing, so you can discover them before they’re signed with a big label and become big stuff.
2. Wildly talented artists will be doing their thing live so you can see some pretty great art made through some pretty cool processes. You might just find that piece you’ve been searching for to hang above your revolve couch. (I don’t actually know if you can purchase art made on the day, but I’m sure you could bargain with the artists…)
3. It raises money for local charity Grow The Music
[https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grow-The-Music/193246754136389], who head to remote communities to teach music. Charity isn’t just cool, it’s a good thing.
4. It’s BYO. Save your dosh.
5. There will be $2 snags. Probably not hipster-certified-organic, but...see point number 4.
6. It’s in someone’s backyard in the highly sought after Eastern Suburbs. Ultimate hipster cool.
Could there be a cooler party? No. What makes it even cooler is that it’s probably not hipster enough for the hipsters to know about it, thus making it even more hipster.
In other words, YARDFEST is going to be a great party with live art, live local music and cheap snags in someones backyard. Live art goes until 5pm to the sounds of Sr Bolivar [https://soundcloud.com/srbolivar/chin-chon-chow] DJing. Bands start at 4:30pm and go through till 11:30pm. There is then an after party at Oxford Art Factory, and shorts and thongs are allowed.
When: From 12pm Saturday January 11
Where: 561 Anzac Parade, Kingsford
What: BYO alcohol, dancing shoes and friendliness
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1428527660710930/?source=1
By Vicki Fletcher