Top 5 simple and healthy food swaps
By Li-Mei Russell
Now, I’m not here to get all paleo on yo’ asses, and I’m a firm believer in everything in moderation. But, that being said, if you’re wanting to make some changes to your diet in order to prepare for summer, feel a bit lighter and less bloated, then these could be for you. Here is five of the best, tastiest, most natural, and budget-friendly food swaps you can incorporate into your normal diet to get summer ready.
1) Swap your pasta for zoodles. Like, Zucchini noodles. These are literally the bomb and I genuinely prefer them to pasta. They’re so quick and easy to make, so much lighter and can be used with anything you would normally put pasta with. If you want a real noodle shape, invest in a julienne peeler, but you can just use your run of the mill potato peeler. Then it’s more like tagliatelle. Yewww.
2) Swap your rice for cauliflower rice. Literally just buy a cauliflower, grate the cauli heads up with your average cheese grater, and then fry or microwave for a minute or two. It works a dream and goes with ANYTHING that you would normally put rice with.
3) Swap your arvo chocolate or cereal bar for an apple and nut butter. So much healthier and so much more satisfying. You can even dunk your pink lady slices into the nutter if you’re feeling daring. (FYI: make sure the nut butter is literally just nuts, look out for the tonne of added sugar that tends to be in your run of the mill peanut butter.)
4) Swap your potato for sweet potato. I know this is an oldie, but it’s a goodie. Sweet potato is proven to be much healthier than other potato varieties and you can use it in exactly the same way. Mash, fries, wedges, throw it in salads, have it as a jacket spud with all your standard fillings; the world is your sweet potato’s oyster.
5) Coconut milk or cream with deserts. Now I’m not going to sit here and tell you that coconut cream with your fruit salad or apple and blackberry crumble will taste better than ice cream. It won’t. But, it really is a great, flavoursome and natural alternative if you’re trying to watch the waistline for a while.